$210, for three weeks, 10am to 1pm, Thursdays, March 11, 18 and 25. Lunch and beverages are available to order from our cafe.
Hosted by Ryan Waters, BVA (Hons.), Adv. Dip. of Screen; Dip. of Applied Design, this charcoal drawing course is designed for students from beginner to intermediate, with a basic level of drawing skills.
Student Learning Outcomes: Over the course students will learn:
- Strategies for creating and drawing up compositions from photographs
- Different techniques using various charcoals, Conte’ and charcoal pencils
- Ability to distinguish tone and create work in a tonal realist fashion
General Drawing Kit
- Willow charcoal: various sizes 7 – 12 mm
- Compressed charcoal
- Charcoal pencils: black and white
- Multiple putty erasers, normal block eraser, pointed triangle eraser
- White Conte’
- Soft cotton rag (old t-shirt scraps)
- Sharpener or Stanley knife
- Photo reference A4 size printed at a reasonable quality, can be colour or black and white, can bring multiple references
- Mid-tone coloured paper (Sienna or Grey) multiple A4 sheets
- White drawing paper, multiple A4 sheets
- Canson Fine Face Mixed Media paper sheet (White) (Discuss in first week)
- Blue painter's tape or bulldog clips
Short Course Process:
- Week One – Start with doing gradients on both tonal and white paper. Do some short exercises of drawing a sphere on tonal paper, using various techniques with charcoal and the different erasers. Begin a portrait on tonal paper.
- Week Two – Continue working on portrait from week one. Students can do multiple
portraits, so they can either start a portrait on white paper, start a new portrait on tonal paper or continue on their original portrait.
- Week Three – Continue working on portraits.
Terms and conditions: Payment at time of booking is essential.
Fees are non refundable unless classes are cancelled by the tutor for reasons of minimum numbers not being met, or other reason provided. Check costs at time of booking as they are subject to change without notice. Materials are not included unless stated. Classes will be cancelled on Catastrophic Fire Days