Oil Painting for Beginners, with Ryan Waters
Oil paints are a fun and vibrant medium that can help you to achieve amazing results. You must have a basic level of drawing skills before beginning this course, however, experience with oil paints is not needed.
- Week one: we will begin with introductions and talk about what will happen throughout the course. We will go through the painting kit and learn how to mix and paint a tonal scale from black to white. Finally, we will do a study of a sphere.
- Week two to four: you will paint a black and white still life setup learning how to judge tone and learning how to handle your oil paints.
- Week five to final week: you will paint a colour wheel on the canvas board learning how all the colours can be made. We will go through fundamental colour theory and paint basics.
Food and drinks will be available for purchase from our cafe throughout the course. A list of materials you will need to bring has been provided below.
Beginner-friendly. You must have basic-level drawing skills.
- Expert tuition from an experienced teacher.
- Your oil painting art to take home.
- Oil paints: Titanium White, Ivory Black or Mars Black. Yellow Lake, Cadmium Yellow
Deep, Cadmium Red Light, Alizarin Crimson, Ultamarine Blue, Phthalo Blue, Sapphire and Spectrum Violet. The quality of these paints need to be at an Art Spectrum level or higher. Monte Marte paints aren’t of a high enough standard and will make your experience more difficult.
- Brushes: Bright hog hair or stiff synthetic sizes two, four, six and eight (if you already have a few different brushes bring them as well).
- Disposable or portable palette.
- Palette knife.
- Odourless solvent with a sealable container, paper towel, cotton rags.
- Earth tone pencil or another low key colour pencil.
- Four A3 sheets of canvas paper.
- 40x50cm canvas board.
Terms and conditions: Payment at time of booking is essential.
Fees are non refundable unless classes are cancelled by the tutor for reasons of minimum numbers not being met, or other reason provided. Check costs at time of booking as they are subject to change without notice. Materials are not included unless stated
Please choose carefully, Atelier Crafers does not provide refunds or transfers except where an event is cancelled by Atelier Crafers.
Should you miss one or more sessions – full fee is still payable.
Atelier Crafers does not accept responsibility for changes in personal circumstances.
Where can I park?
Atelier Crafers is on Cox Place, Crafers – directly behind the BP service station on Main Street.
Parking is available at the tennis courts on Sharrod Court at the rear of Atelier Crafers and on the kerb opposite Atelier Crafers. We ask that you do not park in the car parks designated as private or in other people’s driveways.
An accessible parking space is available at the front of Atelier Crafers for those who have a disabled parking permit.
Bus routes run up the freeway regularly to the Crafers park n ride and the Main Street of Crafers.
Where can I buy coffee and food?
We have a full café that will be available before, during and after your workshop.
Please contact us on 83396590 for any other questions